Stable releases: Packaging JIDE OSS for Debian GNU/Linux

This is the forum for JIDE Common Layer which is open sourced at https://github.com/jidesoft/jide-oss. Please note, JIDE technical support doesn't monitor this forum as often as other forums. Please consider subscribe for technical support for JIDE Common Layer so that you can use customer only forum to get a timely response.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Community driven forum for open source JIDE Common Layer. JIDE technical support doesn't monitor this forum as often as other forums. If you only use JIDE Common Layer, please consider subscribing for technical support for JIDE Common Layer so that you can use customer only forum to get a timely response.

Stable releases: Packaging JIDE OSS for Debian GNU/Linux

Postby apoleon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:31 am

Hi All,

i intend to package jide-oss for Debian GNU/Linux and i would like to package the stable releases of jide-oss. The question is how can i determine whether a release is "stable" or not? The Maven repository contains all jide-oss versions up to 3.5.2 but there is nothing which tells me something about the kind of release.

http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.jidesoft/jide-oss

Personally i prefer the github source repository for packaging but it seems "Tags" are missing, so it's hard to find out which commit belongs to a certain release. The versioning also seems to be a little inconsistent. For example in build.properties the version is 3.4.7 and one of the last git commit messages mentions version 3.5.1 but nothing indicates a 3.5.2 release.

So in short: Which version of jide-oss can be considered stable and should be packaged for a Linux distribution? Would it be possible to add git tags to the source repository at github?

Thanks
Markus
apoleon

Re: Stable releases: Packaging JIDE OSS for Debian GNU/Linux

Postby JIDE Support » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi Markus,

Are you packaging the source code or just the binary. For binary jars, I suggest you use http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cjide-oss and always package the latest release. The link you refer to is not what we deploy to. They probably pull it from the center maven repository so there is a delay. For the source code, you can get it github. We added 3.5.2 and 3.5.3 tags for now and will add the more tags later today. We used branches for each release but we realized that we probably should use tags instead after seeing your posts.
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby apoleon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Thank you for your quick response. I intend to package everything from source, so the github repository is my preferred choice for now. Thanks for adding the git tags. This makes it easier to spot the right release. There is also the additional benefit that Debian's QA tools can monitor your github repository for new releases. To summarize it JIDE doesn't differentiate between stable and development releases. Then i have to figure out myself which release should go into a stable Debian release which happens approximately every 1.5 years.

Thanks so far. One last question, do you provide a bug tracker for jide-oss or do you want me to forward bug reports / patches to this forum?

Markus
apoleon

Postby JIDE Support » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Github does provide a way to report bugs at https://github.com/dashboard/issues. We will get notification when you do that. However we prefer you report the bug on our forum.
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to JIDE Common Layer Open Source Project Discussion (Community Driven)