Multiline button

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Multiline button

Postby Peter Fürholz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:57 am

There are some cases where it would be nice if the text of a button could wrap over multiple lines. While this is easily feasible using HTML-rendering that solution lacks showing the buttons state, e.g. it is disabled. (The HTML-content is rendered without knowing the enabled state of the button.)
Peter Fürholz

Re: Multiline button

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:12 am

We don't have a plan for multiline button yet. Please try use a different HTML text for enable/disable state so that you can solve the issue you mentioned right now.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby Peter Fürholz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Thanks for the hint.

When I looked into labels and buttons features I was surprised that there is not more available in this area in general:
- JLabel is only powerful with the use of HTML
- JButton is only powerful with the use of HTML but then lacks the showing of e.g disabled state (no greying out)
- StyleLabel is quite powerful (and faster than HTML-rendered JLabel) but seems not to support multiline texts. so it's not a full substitute for HTML-rendered labels.
- JideButton is better than JButton but lacks the same shortcoming with HTML-content as JLabel does.

Don't get me wrong: JIDE is really great and leverage Swing to a much higher level, no discussion.
Peter Fürholz

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:26 am

I totally understand. Implementing multiple text on JLabel or JButton is not an easy thing to do. Swing team decided not to do it, neither do we. But that's certainly something that we may do it in the future.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions