.Net Compatible Formatting Library

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

.Net Compatible Formatting Library

Postby HolgerRasch » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:29 am

My Idea is a .Net compatible Formatting library. My Problems with the default DecimalFormat are:
No thousands, billions support aso. .Net understand e.g. 1000000 as "#0," to display "1000" to display only thousands. I think In Java this is not possible.

A second problem with the "Default" DecimalFormat:
Is is not possible to set a "localized" FormatString (i.e. "#0." as German FormatPattern) to a Number and get the number by this pattern in another culture.
Example:
1'000'000 to format as "1,000 tsd" by the englisch UI-Culture. The used FormatPattern is a German "#0, tsd".

Idea: A .Net "CultureInvariant" compatible numberformat
Exchanging data between .Net and Java needs the agreement of a specific culture. .Net supports a cultureinvariant numberformat, java dosen't. Having such a library would be very helpful to write enterprise, multilingual applications that run the client under different languages / cultures.

I Know, that's not your main skills, but I think that's a nice idea for a great component.
HolgerRasch

Re: .Net Compatible Formatting Library

Postby JIDE Support » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:56 am

Do you have a link to the document of the .net formatting library so that I can look at?

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby HolgerRasch » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:48 pm

Sure, that's the cultureInfo object (comparable to Location)

And here is an overview about supported format-strings
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/427bttx3.aspx

Thanks
HolgerRasch

Postby JIDE Support » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:30 pm

I think NumberFormat pretty much supports most of the features mentioned. If is misses certain features, you may submit a bug report for Sun. This area is too detailed and focused. We are not very interested in doing it.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby HolgerRasch » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:19 am

Thanks. I reported the bug to Sun. Maybe we get a new pattern support at the next java-version 8)
HolgerRasch

Return to Product Suggestions