JavaBuilder with Jide

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

JavaBuilder with Jide

Postby schumnana » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:20 am

Hi,

I work on JavaBuilders (http://code.google.com/p/javabuilders/) and SwingJavaBuilderExt (http://code.google.com/p/swingjavabuilder-ext/).

The first framework is a new way to write Java UI to have a maximum productivity with minimum code via declarative UIs for Java.
The second is to integrate Third part components in JavaBuilder.

I integrated SwingX, myDoggy and Jide-oss but for my firm, we want to use commercial jide components.
I want to do the same things for jide commercial components but I don't know what can I do or not with the Commercial licence.

I have the right to do what?
If yes, what kind of licence must be my project?
If no, there is another solution (commit in your scm or something else)?

Thanks in advance

Alexandre Navarro
schumnana

Re: JavaBuilder with Jide

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:51 am

I think for your company to use JIDE, they will have to purchase licenses from us anyway. So maybe for your integeration work, you can use the evaluation package or I can give a free license for open source projects as long as you don't include JIDE jars in your release.
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby schumnana » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Of course, my firm will buy a Jide licence.

My question is for licencing problems with open source projects.
There is no problem to use commercial jide libs in a open source project (LGPL licence) if it does not include commercial jide libs in the release of the opensource project.
It seems to be what I want.

Can you confrm me what I said is right?

Alexandre Navarro
schumnana

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:32 pm

We do give away free license for open source project. However in your case, it is different. Most other open source projects are applications which are not extensible. They built their applications using JIDE and their users won't writing code using JIDE. We can allow you to use JIDE to build your application for free. But in your case, your user will further build their applications using yours. They must mistakenly think JIDE is free for them as well. If you only intent to use this inside your company, it should be fine. But if you plan to release it to public, it will be an issue.
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby schumnana » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:02 pm

I can keep source code inside my firm but I want to share my work to increase the number of users of jide with JavaBuilders (or the contrary).
I think it is better for you to have it.
I will not release with your commercial libs, so a user of my lib can't use your libs without purchase it.

Alexandre

PS : Maybe a solution is to include in your lib my work if it is very problematic for you.
schumnana

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:19 pm

How about I give a free JIDE license for you to use inside JavaBuilder. But make sure you include only JIDE evaluation jars in the release and include an instruction telling users that if they plan to use JIDE in their app, they need to purchase.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby schumnana » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:37 pm

Perfect to me.

Thanks.
schumnana

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:13 pm

I just email you the license key. Note the evaluation package can be downloaded from viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10. You use your license key with the formal JIDE jars but release your application using eval JIDE jars. Unfortunately the eval jars will expire after a while, you probably need to update your release zip file once in a while too. Or you can tell your users how to update eval jars on their own.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby schumnana » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks again.
schumnana

Return to Product Suggestions