XML Editor

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

XML Editor

Postby Graham_Allan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:55 am

Do you have any plans for an XML editor?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the xerlin or jxmlpad but built using JIDE components rather than a XML parser. Ideally I'd like a component where I could set the xsd or DTD and then it (the component) would take care of the visual appearance, validation and editing.

If you take a look at the ideas proposed by Eric Armstrong here I hope you would agree that many of the needs he has identified are meet by your TreeTable, BeanTable and Property Pane and that the combination of these components would allow a lot more “in tree” editing rather than the spit screen approach used by the current generation of editors.

I realise that it would be possible to develop a solution to my particular problem using the above complements but I think that there is a market for a generic solution jxmlpad retails for between $499 (Enterprise Single Developer License) to $2999 (Enterprise Single Site (Any developers) License).
Graham_Allan

Re: XML Editor

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:09 pm

A complete and generic XML editor is a huge task. Think companies such as XMLSpy. An XML editor component is pretty much the same effort as their XML editor product. We probably won't touch this area for now as we don't have enough resource to work on them. We could consider if someone sponsored us. It is similar to what we did in JIDE Code Editor since a company who needs a good code editor sponsored half of the total development cost. However the chance is slim in my mind. The other solution is to develop a simplified solution that has less features.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions