Menu Delay For JidePopupMenu / JideMenu

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Menu Delay For JidePopupMenu / JideMenu

Postby ruslan » Wed May 21, 2008 9:25 am

Looking through the forum/and old JIDE release notes, I see some reference to the popup menu setDelay issue in java (and possibly JIDE tried to address this over a year ago).

Curently the JMenu.setDelay() is ignored by swing for hiding the sub-menus. After attempting to "fix" this issue myself and failing miserably, I looked into this further and some Java documentation claims that different L&F can have different implementation of usage of the setDelay() method.

I wanted to bring this to JIDE's attention (possibly resurrecting the issue) because it seems that this "bug" is low-proirity for Java, and even JDK7 (preview) doesnt seem to address it. Knowing that JIDE developers like a good challange and judging by the superior extensibility of the JIDE suite, implementing this in the JIDE L&Fs would be right up your alley.

In essence, this hiding delay is extemely important when multiple-level poup-menus are used. Any "wrong" movement in the mouse cursor causes sub-popup menus to be hidden immediately, which is a greate nuisance.

Let me know if i'm not being clear, and i can elaborate.
ruslan

Postby JIDE Support » Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 am

I did remember this. We tried to fix it a while ago but just couldn't get it working properly. So we gave up at the end. We certainly like challanges but we also realized that sometimes it is just not possible. All the code are open source in JCL for this particular issue (JideMenu, VsnetMenuUI etc). You can certainly give it a try (if you can justify to spent the time) and let me know.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions