Completing tooltips for partially visible components

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Completing tooltips for partially visible components

Postby marcodeangelis » Fri May 16, 2008 3:29 am

Hi JIDE support.

I was wondering if you could consider an utility to popup the remaining part of a component if it's not completely visible and the mouse lingers on a part of it.
Ideally, it should be able to deal with components using CellRendererPane like JList, JTree, JTable, and with component extending JTextComponent.

IntelliJ IDEA has this feature for its lists and trees, and it's very useful (see image below).

I was thinking at something similar to Searchable, where you have a main interface (Completeable?) defining what to complete and when.

With some help, I could start it in the JSSO project if considered worthwhile.

Best Regards
Marco
marcodeangelis

Postby JIDE Support » Fri May 16, 2008 7:56 am

I know there is a datatip project on java.net. I also see many products implemented it in their own way. However I haven't found a good solution as the same result as intellij does. I would love to see it part of the open source JIDE Common Layer if you would like to give it a try.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby marcodeangelis » Tue May 20, 2008 6:17 am

Yes. I saw that, and there's also some hints by Santosh Kumar using Glasspane. I'm trying to lay out a design valid for all kinds of compoennts. Will let you know how it's evolving.

Thanks
marcodeangelis

Return to Product Suggestions