"Real world" database-centric JDAF example

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

"Real world" database-centric JDAF example

Postby deftex » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:05 am

I think it would be VERY useful to publish a database-centric JDAF example showing, for example: logging in to an application, simple master-detail views on related tables, querying, retrieving and updating data from a simple database (Java DB/MySQL?), that sort of thing...

This may be already planned in the Session based example that I believe is under development, or maybe it's an extension thereof.

Also, it's not particularly clear how JDAF relates to the Docking Framework, etc., and I think it would be useful to make this a little clearer in terms of use cases where specific choices would be recommended.

Thanks!
deftex

Postby JDAF Support » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:20 am

I think it would be VERY useful to publish a database-centric JDAF example...

In actuality our neglect in this area is due to the fact that we've always planned to do something robust. Both a DBDataModel and DBDataView which provides a binding mechanism to the DB.

But in the interum, I agree. As soon as we can get our heads out of the current effort that could be helpful. We do discuss such possibilities in the dev guide, so it makes sense to give an illustration. Really the overhead of setting up a db was an issue; but the javaDB in j6 is really a boon to this end. Maybe we could have people run a seed script or something.

Also, it's not particularly clear how JDAF relates to the Docking Framework

You mean beyond the DockedTextEditor example? Currently, there is not much to it...you turn it on and add docks during a dataview opening event. But I don't mind leaking that there are some new API changes that will come with the next release that aid in better integration with the Docking Framework and I think this will clear up any ambiguity. Just hang on ;)
JDAF Support

Return to Product Suggestions