Nimbux Look and Feel Support for JIDE

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Nimbux Look and Feel Support for JIDE

Postby ginojohn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:50 am

Is the Nimbus look and feel support is available for JIDE components ? When used the following exception is thrown.

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at com.jidesoft.plaf.xerto.XertoWindowsUtils.initComponentDefaults(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.plaf.xerto.XertoWindowsUtils.initComponentDefaultsWithMenu(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.plaf.LookAndFeelFactory.installJideExtension(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.plaf.LookAndFeelFactory.installJideExtension(Unknown Source)
ginojohn

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:05 pm

Are you running the latest JIDE? I ran with Nimbus recently and didn't notice this exception.

Jst so you know, there will be a formal release in the future that fully supports nimbus once nimbus is formally released.
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby ginojohn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:34 pm

Tried with JIDE 2.1.3 and JIDE 2.2.0, both throwing the same exception. If I call
LookAndFeelFactory.installJideExtension(LookAndFeelFactory.XERTO_STYLE); after look and feel is set the above mentioned exception is thrown and If I call before look and feel is set the following NPE is thrown.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.jidesoft.plaf.basic.BasicJideTabbedPaneUI$TabCloseButton.paintComponent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1027)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(JComponent.java:864)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1036)
ginojohn

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:22 pm

I tried in JideDemos in 2.2 with the following code.

Code: Select all
        try {
            UIManager.setLookAndFeel(NimbusLookAndFeel.class.getName());
        }
        catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
        LookAndFeelFactory.installJideExtension(LookAndFeelFactory.XERTO_STYLE);

I open JideTabbedPaneDemo and show the close buttons as the exception is from TabCloseButton. But no exception is thrown.

But it doesn't look good at all. There are on-going task to improve. I had a screenshot taken for this work.

http://www.jidesoft.com/images/nimbus.png

I would suggest you wait till we relesae a version that official support Nimbus.

Thanks,

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby barney » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:25 am

Personally I'd rather you spent your time supporting Vista/Office2007 look and feels - Nimbus still looks far to much like Metal for my liking, and I doubt it will gain many followers.
barney

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:13 pm

Hi barney,

As I have close contact with people who create the Nimbus L&F, I have to say Nimbus is a milestone in term of the Java Plugable L&F. In Nimbus, everything is vector based so it can scale easily. You don't need to write a single line of code to create a complete new L&F with their new designer. It also added support for 3rd party components which will make JIDE easier to support JIDE components. So to be able to support Nimbus is very important for us. After a few years, I can imagine that all JIDE styles would have been rewritten using Nimbus, including Vista/Office2007 style). Saying that, supporting Office2007 style is equally important. In fact, we are at least half done already.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby barney » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:02 am

That's interesting - I didn't know there was a designer or that Nimbus supported customisation. I just know that the SwingSet 2 demo with "default" Nimbus L&F was not very impressive. I'll look into it further.

Thanks
barney

Return to Product Suggestions