Jide plugins to Netbeans

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Jide plugins to Netbeans

Postby santhosh » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:08 am

Hi,

We are building our tools on top of netbeans platform. I have seen the JIDE Webstart Demo. and very impressed. Are there any plans to have JIDE on Netbeans. I mean, netbeans allows to change its menubar, toolbar, statusbar and window system implementation. as we can't leave netbeans platform,
am asking whether you are having any plans to port JIDE to netbeans.

I thing it won't be difficult for you, as netbeans is completely swing based compared to Eclipse. our team members also liked the jide demo. but the
problem is we wan't jide's window system plugged into netbeans platform.

do you have any future plans for this.

thanks
santhosh@in.fiorano.com
santhosh

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:47 am

Absolutely great idea. In fact, there was a group who integrated JIDE Docking Framework into their netBeans-based product. As they are on a commercial product, they may or may not be willing to share their implementation. We can check with them. However the worst case is we rewrite the integration again. We did plan to do it one year ago but then we found out netBeans team was developing their own window system, that's why we didn't start.

Now we got a complete solution for a framework kind of application as you mentioned (menubar, toolbar, status bar and dockable windows), maybe we should create an integration module that integrate netBeans with JIDE. We will investigate and get back to you. We will certainly keep the integration module open source. However to use it, you still need to purchase a single developer license from JIDE. I hope you are OK with it.

Thanks.
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby santhosh » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:48 pm

Actually we have eavaluated your product long before, and wanted to purchase a license. Our tools are entirely developed as a number of netbeans modules. we want jide also to be pluggable. but from the site we found that you don't have any such plugin. and at the same time netbeans also anounced that they are going to completely change there window system and include autohide feature in 4.0 release. and we were not ready to spend time in writing such plugin for jide as it will be a time consuming time for us(because it requires expertize in jide api).

if you are willing to provide such plugin along with jide, then it is a good news for any commertial products that are based on netbeans...

this will become a +point for jide.
santhosh

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:46 pm

Hi santhosh,

Just so you know, we created a plugin to NB platform so that you can use JIDE Docking Framework inside NB. We still need to polish documentation etc but it basically works. So if you are interested in this, please contact us at support@jidesoft.com so that we can discuss more in details.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby santhosh » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:21 pm

Can I get a trial version of this plugin. I want to have a look at it

thanks
santhosh
santhosh

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:27 pm

Sure. We will setup a project on java.net. I will let you know when we are ready.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

what about the plugin. i didn't here from u since one month

Postby santhosh » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:01 pm

you said that the basic plugin implementation is ready and notify me once it is set up on java.net. I was very eager to evaluate it.

but it is since one month, no response. no notification.

what happened to the plugin ???
santhosh

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:08 pm

Sorry about this. It took more than a month before our project on java.net is approved which delays our process. Right now, we received the first cut of the implemtation from the orginal developer. We are thinking to polish it before releasing it but we haven't got a chance to do it yet due to tight release schedule. Do you mind if I send you the orginal version and you play with it by yourself for a while?

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:44 pm

I uploaded it to http://www.jidesoft.com/evaluation/netBeans-JIDE.zip. There is a readme at http://www.jidesoft.com/evaluation/netBeans-JIDE.Readme.txt. Please see http://www.jidesoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10 for user name and password.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Last edited by JIDE Support on Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby santhosh » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:38 pm

I downloaded it.

thanks
santhosh
santhosh

Postby santhosh » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:20 pm

i am able to run the netbeans with jide plugin. It looks great.

on playing with it, I noticed that it is not completly integrated into netbeans.

1. when i selection Windows>Properties from menubar, netbeans property sheet is supposted to open in jide window system. but nothing happens
same for View>WebBrowser

2. When I press Ctrl+Tab the window that appears doesn't list the tabs opened by jide demo.

3. windows are not persisted. (when i launch netbeans second time, it shows empty windows. it is supposed to show windows in whaever position i left in last run)

thanks
santhosh
santhosh

Postby tzutolin » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:01 am

Hello, santhosh!

i'm glad to know that you like the demo.

yes, you are right. the demo is currently in its early stage of development and is not fully integrated into netbeans platform yet. the original winsys of netbeans is tightly integrated into its core/window modules which does not provide a machanism to let thrid parties put custom swing components into its ui system. what we've done now is to get the instance of netbeans's main frame, remove the panel which holds the original winsys and replace it with jide's docking framework. That is, the original winsys api of netbeans will be changed to jide's too. BTW, this is done by changing the original source code in netbeans's core module. So what you got is a netbeans platform with *customized* modules.

our next step is, of course, to further improve the integration of jide and netbeans, especially the properties window you've mentioned. and we hope that we can do these without changing the netbeans's source code too.

if you have any questions or suggestions, please let us know!

Thanks!!

Best Regards,
tzutolin
tzutolin

Current state of JIDE NetBeans integration

Postby marrec » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:55 am

Hello,

I'm working in a project that will be using JIDE in near future to implement the client application of a j2ee client-server achitecture.
We are evaluating NetBeans to be our IDE of choice. Very important in this context: What state does the integration of JIDE into NetBeans and especially into Mantisse have.

I read about the two projects jide-nbm and jide-spring-rcp at dev.java.net.
But the NetBeans integration project seems not to be very vital.
On jide-nbm nothing has been changed since the project has been created?!

Where can I get more information or even jide-nbm related resources ?

Thanks for more information!

Regards,
Markus
marrec

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:13 am

In fact, the goal of jide-nbm is not for NetBeans IDE but for NetBeans RCP. You can already use most of JIDE components in NetBeans Mantisse, as a matter of facts, in most GUI designers. The reason I said "most JIDE components" is because I don't expect you can use JIDE Docking Framework and JIDE Action Framework in Mantisse because those are not Java Beans. That's why we created Visual Designer for these two framework products.

Thanks
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby marrec » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:04 am

JIDE Support wrote:In fact, the goal of jide-nbm is not for NetBeans IDE but for NetBeans RCP

Good to know, thank you for this information. This is also very interesting for me, because it will be the NetBeans RCP that the client will be based on.
Can you tell me more about the jide-nbm project status and maybe some resourcelinks ?

Thanks in advance,
Markus
marrec

Postby Minex » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:19 pm

I am also very interested in the JIDE-NBM integration module. Has work continued on this project? Does it allow integration to NB 5.0 (or 5.5)?
Minex

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:50 am

Not much was done to it since then. All source code available are in the jide-nbm project on java.net. You can check it out and use it as it is right now.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby Minex » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:35 pm

JIDE Support wrote:Not much was done to it since then. All source code available are in the jide-nbm project on java.net. You can check it out and use it as it is right now.

Thanks,

Thanks for the reply, but the jide-nbm project on java.net appears to be empty.

Is there anywhere else we might be able to grab the code from?
Minex

Postby JIDE Support » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:53 am

You can get a zip file at http://www.jidesoft.com/evaluation/netBeans-JIDE.zip. User name and password is eval and evaleval respectively. A readme ist at http://www.jidesoft.com/evaluation/netBeans-JIDE.Readme.txt.

Thanks,
Last edited by JIDE Support on Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby Minex » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:31 pm

JIDE Support wrote:You can get a zip file at http://www.jidesoft.com/evaluation/netBeans-JIDE.zip. User name and password is eval and evaleval respectively. A readme ist at http://www.jidesoft.com/evaluation/netB ... Readme.txt.

Thanks,

Again, much thanks for the response....but I get 404 errors for both of those links. :o

We're really exited about the possibilities this code offers. Could we please try again?

Cheers
Minex

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:32 am

That's because of the trailing "." when the forum converts it to URL. I just fixed it.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby Augusto » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:47 pm

Is this demo using JIDE docking for the Netbeans Window API?

Like are those panels actual TopComponents? If so, that's pretty neat, however the netbeans toolbars are used intead of the JIDE ones. Maybe this is more of a question for the netbeans team, how to replace their components with others (specially toolbars, docking and menus)
Augusto

Postby JIDE Support » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:56 pm

The demo doesn't use NB Window API. Since NB has its own docking framework, they are probably not interested in our solution.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions