Nimbus look and feel

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Nimbus look and feel

Postby chrisbrown » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:35 am

Hi,

As I understand it, you're working on support for the Nimbus look and feel, which seems like a good idea given that Sun are planning on delivering it as a standard part of the Consumer JRE (JDK 6 update 4 if I remember correctly). Looking here:
http://www.jasperpotts.com/blog/2007/09 ... most-done/

...one of the key features of Nimbus is that it's drawn using Java2D, not assembled from static images, as a way of ensuring it can scale up on future HD desktops. Will your support be consistent with this (i.e.: looking a bit further ahead, when we have vector desktops, will JIDE Nimbus components scale up with the standard Nimbus components)?

According to comments in the above article, Nimbus depends upon bugfixes to Synth, which means it's unlikely to be backported, HOWEVER you can start completing support for Nimbus very soon, as the corresponding early access version of JDK6 is about to be made available (and as that corresponds to the future JDK6 update 4, that probably implies that update 3 is almost done...).

- Chris
chrisbrown

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:12 am

We are waiting for their first drop of Nimbus as you do. Once we have that, we will try to add support to it.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby bskaarup » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:42 am

You can get Update N including Nimbus here: https://jdk6.dev.java.net/6uNea.html
bskaarup

Postby andreasfreyer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:58 pm

Hi,

any news on that? Do you have any idear when JIDE will support Nimbus LookAndFeel?

Thanks!
Andreas
andreasfreyer

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:10 pm

We will finish it before this year JavaOne which is at May.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby jdmyers » Wed May 14, 2008 12:37 pm

JavaOne has come and gone. Any update on this?
jdmyers

Postby JIDE Support » Wed May 14, 2008 2:00 pm

I had a good talk with Jasper and Richard who did the Nimbus. Unfortunately it has way more than things we have to do in order to support Nimbus in a nicer way (not just to make it running but allow you to customize it in the same way as that to all other Swing components). With that in mind, I think the current implementation we did to Nimbus probably has be to redone. I just came back from JavaOne so haven't got the chance to plan this yet. I am thinking we start with a release that allows Nimbus to run without any exception so that we have the time to implement the full support nicely.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions