Property Pane ++ ?

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Property Pane ++ ?

Postby genscan » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:37 am

The Property Pane is the most common way for dumping properties. But it is very "developer oriented", you never find this kind of presentation under Word..Excel..., and in the application I develop, users are a little bit confused, with this view.

Could you imagine a way to have another view of the property list ? for example, the category could be vertical tabs (like side pane), each property is not a row in a table but a property editor in a JPanel with a high design etc... (like in the last release of PhotoShop)

It's time to introduce a new standard ;-)

Regards,
Genscan
genscan

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:22 am

I like this idea. Will see what we can do here. Thanks.
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby genscan » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:45 am

Any news about this kind of property view ?
I see more and more graphical tools implementing this simplier view...
Thanks for your feedback.
genscan

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:26 am

Actually I tried to look at Photoshop CS to see this property sheet you talked about but couldn't find it. Where do you get that screenshot?

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby neadamthal » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:36 am

has there been any progress on this??

i would have to agree that this format is better than the existing.
neadamthal

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:20 am

We didn't do anything about it yet. As I said in this thread, I can't find it in Photoshop CS although genscan mentioned Photoshop. I really want to see it in action so that I can make the decision if we should make it a high priority.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby genscan » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:27 am

Just a little update on this topic, cause I look at this property pane, and I think it's a good step for targeting end users.
Thanks.

genscan

Postby nicola.gioia » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:36 am

if i use a propertyTable to update some object properties, can I have an event to eventually disable the confirm button when the property I editing have uncorrect format?
[/img]
nicola.gioia

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:19 am

genscan, the hard part of this property table is to layout the form automatically. I guess you expect it, right? Otherwise, you can layout out the fields all by yourself manually.

nicola.gioia, I am not sure if I understand but I'll try. PropertyTableModel supports PropertyChangeListener. It will fire property change event when a Property in PropertyTableModel value changes because user changes the cell. I wonder if you can use this event to do things like disabling the confirm button.

BTW, you can start a new thread next time if the post is not related to the current discussion.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby pphiremath » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:41 pm

I want to use PropertyTable stand alone (i.e. not inside a PropertyPane) and have no categories, how do i remove the 'misc' category that gets added.

Also how do I change the column header texts.

Thanks
pphiremath

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:48 pm

You just set to setOrder to PropertyTableModel.SORTED or UNSORTED to get rid of the category.

You can override getColumnName method in PropertyTableModel to change the header texts.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions