FilterableComboBox

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

FilterableComboBox

Postby hamu » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:18 am

HI

Have you got a FilterableComboBox. I know you have filterableComboBoxModel attached to a FilterFiled but i want a readymade FilterableCombobox.

Please advise.
hamu

Postby JIDE Support » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:56 am

We don't want to make a concreate component in this case because it limited the usage. Just like we don't have FilterableTable, FilterableList. All we have are FilterableTableModel, FilterableListModel. Same thing with FilterableComboBoxModel.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

FilterableComboBox

Postby hamu » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:35 am

HI

Can FilterableComboBoxModel be used with AutoCompletion? I have tried it but once the combobox is filtered the combobox editor clears and you have to type the key again for autocompletion to work. Any thoughts??

Also can any one explain why when a key is pressed on an editable combobox the first selected item would not scroll to the top of the list within the popup.

Thanks
hamu

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:49 am

It doesn't work. I tried once to combine both but couldn't get it working. Maybe you want to give it a try and see if you can get it working. AutoCompletion is open source so you can see the source code from https://jide-oss.dev.java.net.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

AutoCompletion

Postby hamu » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:12 am

Hi

Thanks for that.

Can you please suggest how to get the popup to scroll to the top so that that selected item that matches the typed key appears as the first most item within the combo. Note that some items may appear at the top but some may not. Some will appear as the bottom most in the viewable area within the combo.
hamu

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:18 am

Why you need to scroll it? I thought you want to filter it then the first item will of course be the first item that matches with what user types. So no need to scroll if you filter.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

AutoComplete

Postby hamu » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:35 am

Since AutoComplete does not work with filtering and i want the first matching item on key press to appear at the top within AutoCompletion combobox.

Thanks
hamu

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:51 am

It is not practical to make it appear on the first. Right now we just selec the matching item. If you scroll it to the first and there is nothing else behind it, we have to shrink the popup to make JList smaller. You might end up with a list with 100 items but the height is only 1. I don't think it is a good idea. If you can make it working this way by extending our source code, you can keep it in your application. If you can change our code to support filterable combobox model, it will be great if you can contribute the code back to JIDE Common Layer.

Thanks.
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions