JideTabbedPane resize mode

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

JideTabbedPane resize mode

Postby paulweiss » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:58 am

Hi,

Is there a resize mode that shrinks the tab title to fit as more tabs are dyncamically added, so all tabs are always shown but the tab list is also shown?

Basically, this is a combination of the NONE resize mode and the fit mode. In the resize none mode the tab list is always shown, but not all tabs may always be visible, and in the fit mode all tabs are visible but the tab list does not get shown.

We need to provide a notification in the form of a flashing a tab icon & text when something changes in a tab. This is currently not possible, since if some tabs are hidden, they can't be flashed so users can't get notified. If they're not hidden but shown and fitted to the pane, the tabs may have long names, so without the tab list, it's difficult to determine which tab needs attention.

Alternatively, is there a way to alert the tab list, or flash the tab list button somehow and then flash the actual list item representing the tab when the tab list is clicked. If so, resize mode none would achieve what we need as long as we can alert the tabbed panel somehow that a tab or number of tabs need attention.

Many thanks

Paul
paulweiss

Postby JIDE Support » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:34 am

Actually the tab list button should be visible as long as setShowTabButtons(ture) even if the resize mode is FIT. Right now it's not shown because of a bug in our code. I just fixed it.

With that, I would suggest you flash the tab background to indicate the tab needs attetion. Flashing the tab list button is harder to do.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby paulweiss » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:52 pm

hi, thanks for the quick response, however, to show the tab list i have to use NONE mode, where the problem is still that i can't flash a tab that is not visible or out of view. Or, if the tab is visible because i use the fit mode, then the tab text is not really useful when the text is long, so to display the name of each tab, i require the tab list to be shown which because of the bug you mentioned, it can't be....

So unless i'm misunderstanding you, i don't think there's a solution to this other than waiting for a next release that contains your fix? when do you expect this it ready for release?

You mention that flashing the tab list button is harder, but is it possible?

Many thanks again

Paul
paulweiss

Postby JIDE Support » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:58 pm

As I said, I will fix it so that tab list button is visible in FIT mode. In fact, I fixed it already and will have a patch tomorrow for this.

In Java, nothing is impossible (a too brave statement, isn't it?). All come down how hard it is. Personally I don't like the idea of flashing tab list button, not to mention it's harder to do because we not only need to flash the button itself but also flash the items in the list when the button is pressed. I think the ideal solution is to show all tabs and flash the tab background.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions