listen for DocumentComponentEvent from DocumentPane

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

listen for DocumentComponentEvent from DocumentPane

Postby carmello » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:13 pm

There are no events for DocumentPane, for example when a new DocumentComponent is added, removed or activated. The only option currently is to listen to the events of every single DocumentComponent.

I think it will be very usefull if you could listen to DocumentComponentEvent
by only add a listener to the DocumentPane.

Evert Tigchelaar jr
carmello

Postby JIDE Support » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:16 pm

We didn't support any listener on DocumentPane because DocumentComponent always supports listener. If you want a kind of global listener to work for all DocumentComponents, you could simply create your own MyDocumentComponent, for example, that extends DocumentComponent and add listener in MyDocumentComponent's constructor.

This is a pattern used in Swing already. For example, JInternalFrame has addInternalFrameListener but there is no listener on JDesktopPane.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby chandrajeet » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:53 pm

There is no listener in DocumentComponent for "Opening".
eg I want to do a Admin validation before navigating to a DocumentComponent by a particular user. I don't find a listener like "documentComponentOpening" or "documentComponentActivating" to do this check and restrict from showing on inValiduser.

Could you please add one?

Thanks
chandrajeet

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:02 pm

Those kind of requirements are usually for "closing". You have control over the openDocument method, why would you need an event for it? People need event for closing because user can close the document from UI.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby chandrajeet » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:25 pm

Well, the user should know that there is a Component present but he just can't view that because of access permissions. May he apply for the access right inorder to take on!

Do you suggesst JideTabbedPane would be a substitue to this DocPane.
chandrajeet

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:30 pm

I won't consider this approach (there is a Component present but he just can't view that because of access permissions) on tabbd pane. You may say I don't want people to view a tab. If there are several tabs, that's fine. But what if there are only two tabs and user tries to close one of two and the last one is the one you don't want people to view? You don't allow people to close the tab? Of course it doesn't make sense. So it's simply not a good idea to limit permission like this.

DocumentPane is an enhanced version of JideTabbedPane. I won't sugget you to "downgrade" in this case.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions