JideTabbedPane needs draggable tabs

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

JideTabbedPane needs draggable tabs

Postby arazvi » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:25 am

Could you please add logic to the JideTabbedPane that allows a user to drag tabs around the tabbed pane e.g. dragging the left-most tab to after the right-most tab
arazvi

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:37 pm

This feature needs backend support. That's why we didn't do it in JideTabbedPane itself but implement it in both JIDE Docking Framework and DocumentPane.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Really ?

Postby arazvi » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:32 am

I would have thought you could display a ghosted image during the drag operation and when a drop happens, remove the tab from its current position and insert it into the new position ?

Or am I not understanding something ?
arazvi

Postby JIDE Support » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:36 am

What you suggested should work. What I mean by "backend support" is we handled the drag-tab-to-move-it feature in two quite different ways in DocumentPane and Docking Framework (different drag feedbacks, different pre- and post-process handling). Because of the difference, we thought they are not generic enough to make a feature of JideTabbedPane. But maybe you are right. We should try to consolidate the code to make it generic. I'll see if we can do it.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby nicolas » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:54 am

Hi!

I've tryed what arazvi suggested.
I have my own "DNDTabbedPane" that implements the drag and drop.
When my DNDTabbedPane overrides JTabbedPane, it works, whereas when it overrides JideTabbedPane, it doesn't work anymore.

I use a ghost glass pane. In the constructor, I have this part of code:
Code: Select all
        new DropTarget(glassPane, DnDConstants.ACTION_COPY_OR_MOVE, new MyDropTargetListener(), true);

dragSource.createDefaultDragGestureRecognizer(this, DnDConstants.ACTION_COPY_OR_MOVE, aDragGestureListener);

Is there any listener added in JideTabbedPane that could change the normal behaviour?

Thanks.
nicolas

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:19 am

JTabbedPane used WRAP_TAB_LAYOUT policy v.s. JideTabbedPane uses SCROLL_TAB_LAYOUT. If you tried to set JTabbedPane to SCROLL_TAB_LAYOUT, I guess it will stop working. If using SCROLL_TAB_LAYOUT, you have to add mouse listener to ((JideTabbedPane) tabbedPane.getUI()).getTabPanel(). Make sure you do it in overriden updateUI method as the tabPanel is part of UI which will recreated when UI is updated.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Re: JideTabbedPane needs draggable tabs

Postby willw » Thu May 28, 2009 8:13 am

Hi Jide Support

Did you ever implement this draggable functionality?
willw

Re: JideTabbedPane needs draggable tabs

Postby JIDE Support » Thu May 28, 2009 8:31 am

We implement dragging feature in docking framework and DocumentPane but not at JideTabbedPane level. We do that because the same mouse listener which does the tab dragging will further drag the tab to make it floating (docking framework case) and splitting (documentPane case). Even we implement it on JideTabbedPane, it is useless for us. Since JideTabbedPane is open source, please feel free to add this feature if you need it.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions