Virtual Keyboard components

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Virtual Keyboard components

Postby efx » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:11 am

Hi

Now touch-screen desktops/laptops and windows tablets are getting popular, how about some touchscreen-friendly components?

In particular, I would like to see text fields and text areas which pop up a virtual keyboard when clicked(/touched), similar in style to CalculatorComboBox.

Thanks
efx

Re: Virtual Keyboard components

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:22 am

Should the keyboard be provided by the OS instead of each component? Just like android/ios both have their own keyboard screen when needed.
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby efx » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:38 am

I know of no way to pop-up the system keyboard from swing, it is probably possible on Windows using JNI but I wouldn't want to go down that route.

Also, I would want it to match application look and feel in any case, which system virtual keyboard would not.

JavaFX has one, unfortunately swing does not, and I guess Oracle are not very committed to keeping Swing up to date ... we have to rely on you guys for that ;-)
efx

Postby JIDE Support » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 am

Sounds like a persuasive argument. We will consider making such a component and will let you know the progress.
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby efx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:15 am

Great, if you do go ahead I would be happy to help with beta testing and will be able to test on UK and German keyboards.

Thanks
efx

Return to Product Suggestions