Radial context menus

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Radial context menus

Postby guibert » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:20 am

I'd like to see a "radial context style menu" available. This is a fairly new concept for GUIs and it'd be really great to see JIDE/Java at the forefront.

For an example, search for "radial" here in this blog posting, and then see the linked video:

http://juicability.blogspot.com/2005/09 ... ntext.html

Also, any of you with Tablet PCs would be familiar with this if you use the Screen clipping tool: <br><br> Image.
guibert

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:10 pm

Thanks for this creative suggestion. I have to say radial interface is a great user interface concept. One thing I can see which is an advantage over the conventional context menu is the distance to each menu item will be the same. We will definitely keep it in mind.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby PatrickGotthardt » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:56 am

Hi. Any progress on this one? I thought of creating it myself, but if you're going to do it there would be no need for me to do it ('specially because your component would be a lot better than mine ;) ).

It really is a great concept and it works really well in practice (there's a plugin for Firefox that integrates such an menu). I could point you to that plugin if you'd like to - I'm using Opera now, so I would have to find it first.
PatrickGotthardt

Postby JIDE Support » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:08 am

Please let me know where I can get the plugin you mentioned.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby PatrickGotthardt » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:35 am

You can get it from here (there are also some screenshots):
http://www.radialthinking.de/radialcontext/
PatrickGotthardt

Postby StrautC » Thu May 03, 2007 2:33 pm

If you're interested in seeing another pie menu implementation, check out the right-click context menu that the folks at the University of Washington use in their DENIM project:

http://dub.washington.edu/projects/denim/download/

They're using AWT/Swing too! I'd love to see one of these added to your product.
StrautC

Postby JIDE Support » Thu May 03, 2007 2:59 pm

I personally think there is a usability issue with the radial menu. Believe it or not, I find it hard to find the menu item I want comparing to traditional popup menu. I guess this is related to the way human eyes scan. It is much easier to scan vertically to find the item than scan in a circle. As I said earlier, there are benefits which is mouse travels less distance to get to each menu item. Unfortunately we don't have the resource to make one but I would love to see if someone is willing to contribute one to JIDE Common Layer as it is now open sourced.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to Product Suggestions