Java 17 and FlatLaf support

This forum is used by users to request and discuss new product features. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Product suggestions only. Please do not use this forum for technical support including bug reports.

Java 17 and FlatLaf support

Postby rogerbj » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:33 am

I've scanned some other posts related to Java 17 and FlatLaf support and the problems identified by "JIDE support" going that path.

What about scrapping all current L&Fs support in JIDE and open a new Java 17/FlatLaf only branch? FlatLaf is the de-facto L&F toolkit for Swing apps today, it is being developed, supported and works really really well. JIDE software would have a great opportunity going forward and even attract new customers.

My company have sponsored the FlatLaf project in order to get adjustments for some JIDE OSS components to work/look better with FlatLaf. Having full or at least more support for JIDE in FlatLaf would be fantastic.

Looking at the JIDE codebase (src) there are a lot of really old L&Fs available and I doubt anyone are using them other than just cluttering the APIs and restricting future updates in JIDE such as Java 17 and other.

What do you think?
rogerbj

Re: Java 17 and FlatLaf support

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:14 am

You are right. I looked at the code recently and realized that in order to support Java 17 without using add-export, a lot of L&F have to be redone, not sure if it is even possible to support the native Windows L&F. That means it has to be a new branch that is not backward compatible
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby rogerbj » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:11 pm

And what is your plan?
rogerbj

Postby kobi_sadoun » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:10 am

Joining the question of rogerbj.
@JIDE Support what is your plan?
kobi_sadoun