Lucene index for Searchable?

This is the forum for JIDE Common Layer which is open sourced at https://github.com/jidesoft/jide-oss. Please note, JIDE technical support doesn't monitor this forum as often as other forums. Please consider subscribe for technical support for JIDE Common Layer so that you can use customer only forum to get a timely response.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Community driven forum for open source JIDE Common Layer. JIDE technical support doesn't monitor this forum as often as other forums. If you only use JIDE Common Layer, please consider subscribing for technical support for JIDE Common Layer so that you can use customer only forum to get a timely response.

Lucene index for Searchable?

Postby zcox123 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:50 am

I have a very large JTable (15 columns and 20,000+ rows). Searchable is awesome, but on a table that big searching can be quite slow. As I understand it, Searchable just iterates over every element and compares it to the search text. Has anyone ever tried a more Information Retrieval-ish approach like indexing all of the elements and using a search engine to find matching elements? I imagine you could use Lucene to build an in-memory index and query it to find matching elements, but thought I'd see if anyone has already done something like this.
zcox123

Re: Lucene index for Searchable?

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:56 am

I haven't heard anyone doing this kind of thing. Searchable is open source. Please feel free to do it if your application plans to do so. We will appreciate if you decide to contribute the code back to JIDE Common Layer open source project.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Just so you know, we added LuceneFilterableTableModel and LuceneQuickTableFilterField to use Lucene as the search engine to make filter faster.

Although it is nicer, the perceived performance gain from Lucene on Searchable feature is very limited. So we will probably wait to see how LuceneFilterableTableModel is received by our customers first.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby JIDE Support » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:07 am

Just so you know, we have also tried to implement Lucene to the searchable. However, we can't see big difference on the performance improvement. So we are pending implementing Lucene to Searchable for now.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to JIDE Common Layer Open Source Project Discussion (Community Driven)