LoginDialog ?

This is the forum for JIDE Common Layer which is open sourced at https://github.com/jidesoft/jide-oss. Please note, JIDE technical support doesn't monitor this forum as often as other forums. Please consider subscribe for technical support for JIDE Common Layer so that you can use customer only forum to get a timely response.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Community driven forum for open source JIDE Common Layer. JIDE technical support doesn't monitor this forum as often as other forums. If you only use JIDE Common Layer, please consider subscribing for technical support for JIDE Common Layer so that you can use customer only forum to get a timely response.

LoginDialog ?

Postby tolask » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:12 am

Dear All,

I just wondered if you ever developed or plan to develop a standard login dialog ?

Best regards

Thomas
tolask

Postby JIDE Support » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:52 am

Probably not. Especially there is already a login dialog as part of swingx.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby ebarendt » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:58 pm

I was just looking through your components for a standard/common login dialog. We deliberately removed swingx from our code after we bought JIDE licenses because, for what we need, they provided a lot of the same things.

Any chance you'll reconsider the login dialog?
ebarendt

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:10 pm

LoginDialog in SwingX is created by Romain (my guess) which looks pretty good. Any reason you don't want to use it?

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby ebarendt » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:19 pm

SwingX and JIDE implement a lot of the same functionality. I don't want to include an extra (1.5 MB) jar file in our client download (we distribute our app over JNLP) when JIDE already provides most of what we need.
ebarendt

Postby JIDE Support » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:08 pm

In general, we promote component reuse. It doesn't mean only using JIDE components but all available components. SwingX component is part of it. So we will not try to replicate a component if it is already available to Swing developers (and it has to be good enough of course). So maybe you can consider extract their code to just use the this particular component if their license allows you to do so. Unless you pay us to do it, otherwise we will not try to do something that is out there already. Not the best answer you want to hear but hope you can understand.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby lievendoclo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:25 am

ebarendt,

At work our applications are also distributed to the clients through JNLP. And only if your applications is accessible through the internet should bandwidth be an issue. If applications are accessible only through the internal network, you really shouldn't care. Putting the swingx jar into your application will then result in a one-time download time increase of about 1 second.
You'll likely waste more time on copy-pasting and maintaining copy-pasted third party code in your codebase.
We're using about 40+ third party jars, such as swingx, jide commons, glazedlists, ... I have to back up Jide support here, reuse is something that should be promoted.
By the way, Spring RCP also has a LoginDialog :wink:
lievendoclo

Return to JIDE Common Layer Open Source Project Discussion (Community Driven)