Localization files missing in 2.9?

This is the forum for JIDE Common Layer which is open sourced at https://github.com/jidesoft/jide-oss. Please note, JIDE technical support doesn't monitor this forum as often as other forums. Please consider subscribe for technical support for JIDE Common Layer so that you can use customer only forum to get a timely response.

Moderator: JIDE Support

Forum rules
Community driven forum for open source JIDE Common Layer. JIDE technical support doesn't monitor this forum as often as other forums. If you only use JIDE Common Layer, please consider subscribing for technical support for JIDE Common Layer so that you can use customer only forum to get a timely response.

Localization files missing in 2.9?

Postby tdugger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:21 am

Why aren't there any localization resources in the com.jidesoft.plaf.basic package in jide-oss-2.9.3.jar? There used to be some basic_xx.properties files in that package and now they aren't there. Is there a different plan for localization now? I've been using version 2.03.

Thanks,
Troy
tdugger

Re: Localization files missing in 2.9?

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:40 am

There is a jide-properties.jar now. Please check that out.

Thanks,
JIDE Software Technical Support Team
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby tdugger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:53 am

Oh, great, that sounds much better, but I'm not finding this jar. Is it open source and available on java.net?

Thanks,
Troy
tdugger

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:39 am

Unfortunately it is in JIDE formal release, not in the open source JIDE Common Layer. Maybe you can get the evaluation package from http://www.jidesoft.com/evaluation/ and get the jide-properties.jar under the libs folder.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby tdugger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:57 am

That's unfortunate. The resource jar (or at least part of it) should be part of jide-oss. Anyone using an older release has lost the localization files - some of which have been contributed by the community.

-Troy
tdugger

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:05 am

I just realized that the properties files are in the SVN of JCL. It is just we didn't make a jar from it for every single release. So if you hook up with the svn, you will get these properties.

Just a minor correction, actually most of the properties are NOT contributed by the community of JCL but by our paid customers :)

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby tdugger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 am

I stand corrected. :)

Here's my issue.. I'm only using the JideTabbedPane at the moment and need to localize the "Scroll Forward", "Scroll Backward", and "Show List" strings and I need to localize them for more languages that are currently available in the 2.0.3 version of jide-oss.jar. Is there a way I can set these strings myself for this component without having to create or edit the basic_xx.properties files in the com.jidesoft.plaf.basic package? I thought something like UIManager.put("JideTabbedPane.scrollBackward") would do the trick, but it isn't working.

Thanks,
Troy
tdugger

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:37 am

Well, you are a paid customer anyway :)

Creating new properties file is the only way and probably the best way.

I suggest you get the existing properties files from the SVN of JCL, add your own properties files, then modify your build script to make these properties into a jar. The reason we use a separate properties jar, just so you know, is because there are so many properties files and it will increase the size of JCL jar. A large percentage of customers need English only version so increasing the jar size is not fair for them.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:39 am

We will also make it easier to do so in 2.9.4.

In current release, please try to override BasicJideTabbedPaneUI#installKeyboardActions(). After calling super, please try to invoke _tabScroller.scrollForwardButton.setToolTipText(yourString) to customize the tootip of the scroll forward button. You could also customize _tabScroller.scrollBackwardButton, _tabScroller.listButton, etc.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Postby tdugger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Easy enough. Thanks.
tdugger

Postby JIDE Support » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Just so you know, you now could override JideTabbedPane#getResourceString() to change the text in 2.9.4 just released.

Thanks,
JIDE Support
Site Admin

Return to JIDE Common Layer Open Source Project Discussion (Community Driven)